Jul 11, 2016
My mother-in-love shared this recipe with me in 1995 - over 20 years ago. I have been making it ever since. My in-loves have a huge garden and when we lived close by, they shared much of their bounty with us. Recently a friend here has started sharing her veggies with us, and Victoria made this delicious side dish last week.
4 cups squash, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 stick butter
2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1. Cook the squash and onion in a little water for 10 minutes and then drain.
2. Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Stir in the stuffing. Take 1 cup out and reserve for the topping. Pat the remaining stuffing in the pan.
3. Layer the squash and onion in the pan next and then salt and pepper.
4. Mix the eggs, milk and soup together and pour over the squash and onion.
5. Sprinkle the cheese and remaining stuffing.
6. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.